Before you starting reading my posts (aka my rants), here is a little sample of things that make me mad. I have made a list of several priceless pieces of Conventional Wisdom (CW). In italics below you will find my take on them.
Jump in, sit still and keep your hands inside the vehicle at all times.
1. A calorie is a calorie. As long as you eat less and move more you will lose weight.
Our weight is regulated by hormones, not calories.
2. Cholesterol is evil. You need to avoid it in your diet at all costs and this will reduce your blood cholesterol and prevent heart disease.
Cholesterol is a substance essential to life and health. Dietary sources of cholesterol do not have any correlation with heart disease. Blood cholesterol values are nearly useless in predicting a possibility of a heart attack or death.
3. Saturated fat clogs your arteries and makes you unhealthy and fat. You must avoid it by substituting butter with margarine, only consuming low-fat dairy and cutting fat off your steak.
Saturated fat consumption has no correlation with heart disease or obesity. Replacing natural animal fats with man-made highly processed vegetable and seed oils contributes to our bodies’ pro-inflammatory state.
4. You need several servings of healthy whole grains daily to provide necessary nutrients for health and fibre to keep you full and your bowels regular.
Grains are not a natural part of human diet. We are not birds. We have not evolved to process grain products and have no need for them. They can disrupt digestion and metabolism. They can also be downright toxic to some people.
5. You need to eat 5-6 small meals a day to rev up your metabolism, avoid spikes in insulin and maintain healthy weight.
Humans are not cows who graze all day. We can function perfectly well on 1-2 meals a day. The breakdown of muscle tissue after 3-4 hours with no food is a MYTH, perpetuated by the makers of protein shakes and cereal bars.
6. You need to exercise at moderate intensity for 30-60 minutes every day to keep your heart healthy, maintain your weight and live longer (you lazy fat slob).
Exercise should be short in duration, high in intensity. There is no evidence that doing it 7 days a week is better than once a week. Do resistance training for strength, bone health and metabolic effect. Do random stuff for fun, sense of well-being and social interaction.
7. You need to have rigid x:y:z ratios of macronutrients in your diet. According to this new diet [insert the latest fad here], as long as you have x% of calories from protein [carbohydrates, fats, acai berry], it doesn’t matter whether it comes from a chemical cocktails (errr, I mean, a protein shake) or a piece of steak.
Stop reducing food to a sum of its parts. Eat real meals, made out of pronounceable ingredients which you could easily find yourself on a farm.
The list is far from exhaustive, but it will do to start with. Feel free to share your favourite CW pearls.
What is it you say? I have no evidence? On the contrary. Please check Resources section regularly or send a comment with your questions.